Bob Balaban November 28 2011 05:22:21 PMGreetings, Geeks!
Here's the 5th installment of the book. Thanks again for all the positive feedback.
The first installment can be found here
The 2nd installment is here
The 3rd is here
The 4th is here
All of the book content (as is all of the content on this blog) is Copyright 1998 and 2011 by Looseleaf Software, Inc. You may not reproduce or distribute the book's content without permission from me.
Some Caveats and explanations:
- This book is now 12 years old. There are lots of things in it that are amusingly dated, even laughable. One example: the absurd emphasis on Java Applets. They died an unlamented death due to bloating a long time ago, but at the time I wrote the book, they were a hot technology.
- The formatting is not exactly as it first appeared in the book, and some of it is downright awkward. Sorry! The publisher converted the original files to Word for me, perhaps they forgot to select the "high-def" option.
- The Java package described in the book (lotus.notes) was superseded by lotus.domino in R5 (1999? I think). The methods are all mostly the same. Of course, IBM have added lots more classes and methods than existed when the book was written. Also, the "recycle()" method had not yet been invented in Domino 4.6, so the memory issues that call addresses are not really covered.
- The figures (screen shots and so on) referred to did not make it into any file format I can deal with, so I had to leave them out. Sorry! The code samples are mostly there, and I'll also post all of the files that were on the CD that came with the original book.
This time I'm posting 3 more chapters:
Chapter 12: "NOI and Java Beans" (Are they really good for your heart?)
Chapter 13: "JDBC and NOI"
Chapter 14: A Look Ahead to Domino 5 (This ought to provide some laughs, eh?)
Note: Chapter 14 is the last real chapter, but there's still plenty more to come. To wit:
- Appendices A through F
- Samples, including some javadoc, since I happen to have it anyway
Chapter 12: No bugs!
Chapter 13: No bugs!
Chapter 14: Also bug-free!
Enjoy! More soon. Geek ya later
(Need expert application development architecture/coding help? Want me to help you invent directory services based on RDBMS? Need some Cloud-fu or some web services? Contact me at: bbalaban, gmail.com)
Follow me on Twitter @LooseleafLLC
This article ©Copyright 2011 by Looseleaf Software LLC, all rights reserved. You may link to this page, but may not copy without prior approval.
- Comments